Maller - PvP Armor Tank (Ple Maller / Standard Cruisers / Amarr
Adore manticore Manticore / Covert Ops / Caldari

Shop: Deep Space Supply

• Eve 60day Timecode
    60 Day EVE Game Time Code

60 days of EVE-Online Playing Time delivered by email!... Buy Now »

• Eve 30day CD Key
    30 Day EVE CD Key

New Accounts Only! Use this to create a brand-new account or convert a trial account to a paid account. Buy Now »

Forum

Author Topic: Magelo Character Site for EQ. Anyone use it ?  (Read 1528 times)

Kahnzerson

• Member 5th Class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kahnzerson has no influence.
Magelo Character Site for EQ. Anyone use it ?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:53:06 pm »
http://www.magelo.com/home.jspa

I loved it when I played EQ.  And this program looks to do the same and more for my character in EVE.

My question is this, I never had to give out PW or Character information for Magelo.  It was a stand alone program that ran in the background and queried the pertinent files of my character as they updated from EQ servers. Thus capturing the latest information of Items, Skills, Experience, Money, and Bank/storage. They just grabbed the files from Hard Drive, verses logging in to the EQ servers and downloading them.

One would think that our skill points, ships, modules, and hangar info could be updated as well, without having to have us hand over our login and PW info, which basically tosses our "Warranty" with CCP out the window. Since they forbid the use of 3rd party programs that request our PW or Login info.

Isnt our current skill book and points, ships, setups, hangar content etc.. on our hard drive, and then compared to server logs upon each login anyway? 

Why not just take whats on our computer in lieu of going to the EVE Servers via our PW and Login ?

Am I confused on how this actualy works ? Does EVE keep everything on their servers and our files on our home computers contain no character info ?

MrCue

• Proud Father
  • Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Reputation Power: 627
  • MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
    • Battleclinic.com
Re: Magelo Character Site for EQ. Anyone use it ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:08 pm »
Everything is stored on the server.
it *is* or at least was possible to capture the information, however, this is even more against the EULA than using third party apps (which CCP turns a blind eye to certain ones.)

CCP provide the XML feed for a reason, the reason is so developers can build apps that use it.

If you don't want to enter your password into eve-mon, you dont have to.
Download the XML file from the eve-online site. and put EVEMon in manual mode by importing the XML.

Voila, your "warranty" isn't voided.

My money however, says that more than 1 dev uses eve-mon, and plenty of ISD members do too.
i have no idea of the cause, but i have fixed it - MrCue 2008

I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Upload your Ship | View Ships
Those who can, do, Those who can't, whine on the forums.

Rules are for the guidance of the intelligent, and the obedience of the stupid

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that prisons manage freedom.

AndersChydenius

• EVEMon Administrator
  • Master Chief Petty Officer
  • AndersChydenius has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:40:39 am »
I used Magelo for a long time.  Magelo worked the way it did because there was no other way to get the information.  Getting that information from your hard drive is probably possible, but it's also technically more difficult AND against the EULA.  Look at it this way: would you rather type your information in to a program which hundreds of people (including devs) use and which stores your passwords in an encrypted format, or would you like the program traipsing through your hard drive and monitoring other processes.  We could do far worse things with the latter than the former, I assure you.

In short... what Cue said.

Kahnzerson

• Member 5th Class
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »
Thanks for the feed back, and yes, im attempting to import the XML now, just trying to figure out how.  Im on the EVE online web page, I see the XML letters on my account in yellow, I click on it, a blank page comes up, I right click, and best I can come up with is save link as...

:n00b:

But ill figure it out, im excited about playing with it, great program im sure its going to turn out to be... wow.. that sounded alot like yoda.. and I didnt mean for it too...

anyway..   :screwloose:

Kahnzerson

• Member 5th Class
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:19:21 pm »
Wallah, its working great... thanks.