Author Topic: EVEMon development suspended  (Read 17581 times)

Jimi

• EVEMon Developer
  • Commander
  • Reputation Power: 317
  • Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • EVEMon Fanatic
EVEMon development suspended
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:27:46 am »
World, the time has come to... push the button

After 3 years continuous involvement with EVEMon and 1 1/2 years as acting Lead Dev, RL issues are forcing me to take a break and suspend my activity with EVE and EVEMon.

My absence is estimated to last for at least a month with the possibility of it lasting more than that or even being permanent.

If noone hears from me for more than a month, you can safely assume that I'm off for good, though I hope that the forum support will be continued by our volunteers.
In that case, I authorize the BC admins to initiate the procedures for my succession.
In the mean time, if anything urgent comes up (like CCP changing things) and EVEMon needs updating, I hope that the former Lead Dev, Richard Slater (who still has access rights to the repo), will step in and make the necessary adjustments.

Notes to the repo (for the next Lead Dev, if be):
The 1.8.0 branch has no new features added, though I intended to add Calendar Events, Contacts and Kill Reports monitoring. The base code is there but EVEMon lacks the GUI.

For any questions, I will be available to answer you till Saturday 01 Sept 2012 00:00 UTC.

In case I don't see you again, thanks for all the good and bad times. It was a 'hell of a ride' as long as it lasted.

Regards,
Jimi

Important clarification:
EVEMon still remains under the support/distribution of BattleClinic and any attempt to copy it and distribute via other means will only lead to it being considered not genuine.

The question here is not if EVEMon will keep being developed but who will be the acting lead dev (the man in charge). Bottom line until a month has passed and I have not given any signs, then it's time to find the new lead dev. And this is under the authority of the BattleClinic admins.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:19:18 am by Jimi »
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Do" - Scooby Do
"Yaba Daba Doo!" - Fred Flintstone

lgonggr

• Member 5th Class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • lgonggr has no influence.
Re: EVEMon development suspended
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:46:48 am »
Thanks for your hard work !

General Escobar

• Captain
  • Reputation Power: 725
  • General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.General Escobar forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:25 am »
Sad to see it go! and thank you very much for all the hard work!!
Good luck with your RL issues!

Sovai Elaaren

• Member 5th Class
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Sovai Elaaren is breaking through obscurity.Sovai Elaaren is breaking through obscurity.Sovai Elaaren is breaking through obscurity.Sovai Elaaren is breaking through obscurity.Sovai Elaaren is breaking through obscurity.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:03:42 am »
Thanks for all your work on this project over the years, it's very much appreciated!

Tonto Auri

• Contributing Developers
  • Fleet Captain
  • Reputation Power: 225
  • Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
    • EVE cheat sheet
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:55 am »
Jimi, that was a wonderful years, and I wish you come out of your issues good and recover quick.
My prayer is for you today. Take care!

rail

• Member 5th Class
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • rail has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:00:53 am »
Agreed, thank you for your work on this fine project. IMO, I think CCP should buy it from you so you can make some bank from your hard work and so it will continue to be available for people to use.

Widdershins

• Even so, even so...
  • Moderators
  • Commodore
  • Reputation Power: 3098
  • Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • Registered Space Offender
    • Badness in Space
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:59 am »
EVEmon is a staple of any Eve player's repertoire, an amazingly useful program that nobody could recommend you go without. Thanks for your hard work and I hope you don't die IRL etc.
Just because you survive and are able to help while using a fit one time does not mean it is good, or indeed anything short if mind-blowingly horrible. By extension, you can survive and contribute to your fleet pretty much any number of times and your fit might still be awful, the key being that you aren't helping out very much and/or your ship is stupidly expensive for what it does and/or you will die to the first thing that shoots you and simply haven't been shot at yet.

Alikchi

• Member 5th Class
  • Alikchi has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:21 pm »
Hey there -

I'm writing for themittani.com and was hoping I could speak with you about the suspension for an article? I can do skype, google talk, in-game chat, whatever. We'd like to send off EVEMon properly, it has been a truly fantastic tool.

Feel free to contact me on twitter @alikchialeika.

Thanks in any case,
Alikchi

Tonto Auri

• Contributing Developers
  • Fleet Captain
  • Reputation Power: 225
  • Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Tonto Auri forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
    • EVE cheat sheet
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »
There's nothing to speak about. Walk away.

Widdershins

• Even so, even so...
  • Moderators
  • Commodore
  • Reputation Power: 3098
  • Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Widdershins forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • Registered Space Offender
    • Badness in Space
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:34 pm »

+1
Just because you survive and are able to help while using a fit one time does not mean it is good, or indeed anything short if mind-blowingly horrible. By extension, you can survive and contribute to your fleet pretty much any number of times and your fit might still be awful, the key being that you aren't helping out very much and/or your ship is stupidly expensive for what it does and/or you will die to the first thing that shoots you and simply haven't been shot at yet.

Alikchi

• Member 5th Class
  • Alikchi has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »

I'm speaking to Jimi, who has stated he will be available for questions until Saturday, but I'm willing to talk to anyone.

Jimi

• EVEMon Developer
  • Commander
  • Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Jimi forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • EVEMon Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:52:29 pm »
@Alikchi

tl;dr EVEMon isn't dying. I will not be able to continue its development for an extensive amount of time.

Announcing the suspension of EVEMon development doesn't necessary mean that EVEMon is going to die out. Over the years people (like me) come and go but EVEMon is still there.

My post is just a heads up notice of what's going on and what the people behind me and after me should do.

There is always the chance of me returning in a month and things to continue as usually. But with RL you can never be sure.

Thanks for the interest though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:55:16 pm by Jimi »

zerokmatrix

• Member 5th Class
  • zerokmatrix has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:34:20 am »
Hi Jimi,
Thanks for all your hard work on EVEMon, I would be truly lost without it.
I hope RL sorts itself out and you'll able to continue doing the great job you have been doing

Dinsdale Pirannha

• Member 5th Class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Dinsdale Pirannha has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »
Thank you are all the work on this, which must be a fairly "thankless" job. It has made my Eve life so much better, and I hope you return soon.

frying

• Member 5th Class
  • frying has no influence.
  • Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »
Thank you for all you have done to make EvE a better place.

Cebraio

• Member 2nd Class
  • Cebraio has no influence.
  • aka Atrocious
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:43 am »
Thank you for your dedication Jimi!

I hope you are alright now or at least things are getting better!

@ devs: I am still working on an overhaul for the EveMon skill planner. I wasn't able to do anything over the summer months, but I haven't abandoned it. Hopefully Jimi comes back ... otherwise I'd appreciate if the next lead gets in touch with me.

Jimi

• EVEMon Developer
  • Commander
  • EVEMon Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 11:25:50 pm »
Update: Writting from an Internet Cafe. Had to travel to the nearest town as where I live atm I have no net access.

I estimate my absence to last at least 15 days more. Things are still uncertain. I will try to keep you guys posted on any progress.

Thanks to all for the support posts.

Anabaric

• All your Avatars are Belong to me.
  • Community Manager
  • Commodore
  • Reputation Power: 2088
  • Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.Anabaric forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
  • When it doubt shoot it twice
    • My EvE Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:26:19 am »
Thank you for the time and effort  :smitten:

Cebraio

• Member 2nd Class
  • Cebraio has no influence.
  • aka Atrocious
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:18 am »
Update: Writting from an Internet Cafe. Had to travel to the nearest town as where I live atm I have no net access.

I estimate my absence to last at least 15 days more. Things are still uncertain. I will try to keep you guys posted on any progress.

Thanks to all for the support posts.
Good to see you're not completely off the radar!

Jimi

• EVEMon Developer
  • Commander
  • EVEMon Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 08:00:02 am »
OK guys. I'm back at 'Home-base' for an unknown period of time. As long as this lasts I'm resuming position and will look into fixing some bugs that have been reported.
I'll also try to catch up with the latest news in EVE and see what's changed or may change, in order to have EVEMon ahead of them.