myrm Myrmidon / Standard Battlecruisers / Gallente
Low sp dmg Megathron Navy Issue / Faction Battleships / Gallente

Shop: Deep Space Supply

• Eve 60day Timecode
    60 Day EVE Game Time Code

60 days of EVE-Online Playing Time delivered by email!... Buy Now »

• Eve 30day CD Key
    30 Day EVE CD Key

New Accounts Only! Use this to create a brand-new account or convert a trial account to a paid account. Buy Now »

Forum

Author Topic: Amarr vs Gallente ships  (Read 17327 times)

mom04girls

• Member 3rd class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mom04girls has no influence.
Amarr vs Gallente ships
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:35:11 pm »
     I'm new to the game and didn't really know how to choose what to shoot for endgame. After watching the tourney videos i liked how the amar ships looked with beam weapons. I've always been a big fan of star trek :) but I've learned from other mmorpgs that a way to pick a class is to look in the forums and see who complains about being over-powered or who is under-powered. 

I've looked at caldari ships first since I had picked caldari as an initial character. Missiles seem boring to me so I don't want to go in that direction. Gallente seems my style of in-your-face with scramblers, webs, MWD. Amar seem to do the same if you wanted to. The difference i see is people  complaining about amarr and cap usage to the point of if amarr is even a viable choice. When you look at amarr ship builds compared to a magathron builds there are a lot more for the mag and no real complaining while amarr posts almost all are complaining in one way or another.

I've also noticed that the big pvp corps are training gallente ships with a few commenting about the huge problems they had with amarr ships.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of time training for a gimped class. If I trained for Amarr and trained the skills to the right lvl how viable would i be then. I mean if an equally trained person in an abadon for example fights a magathron pilot both fitted for close range the abadon could have cap probs while the maga may not hold its tank or something along those lines.

So in the end I'm always complexed on what I should do go for the cool factor and take a chance of being a gimped amarr or listen to what has worked for me in the past (reading forums and choosing who ppl complain about being over-powered and who complains the most about their class being gimped) coupled with what ppl say isn't as in good pvp/pve.

What i need the help with is where is my logic flawed and is what I'm reading in the forums wrong because there is always the chance that what I've read isn't what is excepted as being fact but in reality just a bunch of noobs or complainers.

Any suggestions would be helpful ... THanks P.S my eventual goal would be a ship that i could use for missions to some degree while being powerful and needed in pvp as a dmg person preferable closer ranged combat.

MrCue

• Proud Father
  • Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Reputation Power: 629
  • MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.MrCue forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
    • Battleclinic.com
Re: Amarr vs Gallente ships
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 04:48:35 pm »
Its all down to play style i guess.

I personally fly Gallente BS, Caldari Command ships and Minmatar interdictors.

there is no one uber race in eve.
i have no idea of the cause, but i have fixed it - MrCue 2008

I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Upload your Ship | View Ships
Those who can, do, Those who can't, whine on the forums.

Rules are for the guidance of the intelligent, and the obedience of the stupid

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that prisons manage freedom.

josh_1143

• Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • josh_1143 has no influence.
    • Fear alliance forums
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 05:29:26 pm »
caldari good for pve (damage types aswell as lack of optimal range), gellente good damage and drones, armarr cap and tank, minitar speed and damage

think thats what it falls down to imo

svzurich

• Lieutenant, Junior Grade
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.svzurich forgot more about gaming than you'll ever know.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 07:18:33 pm »
All depends on what you like to fly, each ship has different strengths and styles. 

Amarr ships in general require you to level up the ship class skill to reduce cap usage, but work really well once your skills are up.  Amarr ships require patience but can be fun to fly.  They DO have some issues at low skill levels, but it is balanced out by unlimited T1 ammo (longest range on short range weapons, excel in midrange combat, but most PVP is at short range), better passive armor resists, and more low slots for armor tanking.  Recently some Amarr ships became short range, high DPS missile users (rockets and heavy assault missiles) so there is variety if lasers aren't your thing.  Lasers only do EM and Thermal damage, the rockets/HAMs can switch out ammo to do any damage type.  I am currently mulling over whether to train up the short range missiles for the Sacrilege, push on to Absolution and Damnation for command skills and gank, or just move up to battleship for Abaddon.

Minmater are the other race that requires a large amount of skill points to excell in, but are fast jack of all trades.  None of their weapon systems (autocannons, missiles, drones, and artillery) use capaciter energy.  All of their weapon systems can switch out ammo to target any resistance holes in a foe's defenses.  Most of their ships are geared for hit and run sweeps and the weapons are good for alpha strikes.  If you like speed tanking, this is the race for you.  I fly their CovertOps and am thinking of flying their Interceptors and Interdictor someday.

Gallente tend to excell at "in your face" blasting, are the other armor tanking race, and decent with EW.  They rely on hybrid guns (Thermal/Kinetic) and drones (any damage type), have a good mix of ships, and most classes of ships have bonuses for the guns and one ship that is the drone carrier.  My character is Gallente and loves flying her Dominix drone carrier.  I am not a fan of using up ammo, so I tend to alternate between drone and laser ships.  Drones when I want a more "hands off" approach, lasers when I want to be owning my foes directly.  Currently many posters think Gallente is THE PVP RACE, but the same can be said for Minmater.  All ships can do well in PVP.

Caldari are the shield tanking, EW mastering, missile race.  If you are in a gang, it's always nice to have a Caldari ship in the mix using EW goodness.  Missiles are great for missions, but don't work very well against the fastest ships.  Hybrids tend to have more DPS than missiles, but missiles require 0 cap and are not affected by turret disrupters.  Caldari are considered "Eve in easy mode" but are not considered to be very good in PVP by many.  They excel in long range weaponry and have the Rohk, the ultimate sniping hybrid gun battleship.  :D  The Rohk and Cormorant destroyer get sweet optimal range bonuses to their hybrid guns, so if you like guns do not discount them. 

To sum it up, Amarr excel in midrange combat, armor tanking, and now have nice short range/high DPS missile systems, but require quite a few skills to get good with lasers (missiles take less time to get good results).  Minmater are hit and run types who can devote their cap to defense and propulsion, can pick their damage types, and also require a lot of skills to get good at all the weapon options available to them.  Gallente tend to be short range combat masters, armor tank, have decent EW potential, and rely on hybrids and drones.  Caldari tend to be long range shield tankers, masters of EW (at the expense of their shield tanking), use missiles and hybrids, and own PVE.

I fly Amarr and Gallente, but minor in the other races' systems as well.

Hades

• lord of the underworld
  • Lieutenant, Junior Grade
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Hades has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:45:52 am »
well i'll take what Cue, josh nd svurich said and put it in simpler terms. Amarr and Minmatar take alot of skills to be good but when they are good they kick ass.

Gallentte nd Amarr are armor tankers, Caldari are shield tankers and Minmatar pretty much tank in everything

Gallentte, Amarr and Caldari gunboats all need cap to use thier weapons, whereas Minmatar weapons do not need cap

also looks wise, Amarr and Gallentte ships look sweet and will look even better in the Trinity patch. Caldari could look good if only CCP would make them symetrical and Minmatar ships are flying scrapheaps with lots of guns nd big engines strapped to them